This course is designed for the medical professionals working in pregnancy centers who would like to learn ultrasound procedures. Expedite your patient’s diagnosis with the tools and techniques needed to obtain a diagnostic image with ultrasound. This two-day program combines lecture and supervised hands on scan experience on live models for the healthcare professional. Content presented will include an introduction to ultrasound instrumentation and female anatomy. Both transabdominal and endovaginal scanning techniques will be discussed. Fetal measurements, heartbeat and pregnancy location will be discussed.
Faculty: Debbie Robertson, BS, RDMS - No relevant financial relationships to disclose.
At the completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Utilize the principles of instrumentation to obtain diagnostic images
- Identify the difference in techniques related to transabdominal and transvaginal pelvic scanning techniques
- Identify basic fetal anatomy
- Complete a limited OB exam
- Identify basic fetal anomalies and their ultrasound appearance
- Apply appropriate measurement techniques for obtaining gestational age according to AIUM standards
- Recognize the parameters needed to diagnose ectopic pregnancy
- Physics and instrumentation in ultrasound
- Pelvic anatomy as related to first trimester ultrasound
- Fetal normal and abnormal anatomy
- Scan protocols as recommended by AIUM
- Fetal growth and development
- Fetal measurements
- Ectopic pregnancy
Healthcare personnel seeking to learn OB ultrasound procedures specific to pregnancy centers. Physician specialties can include but are not limited to OB/GYN specialists, family practice, internal medicine, emergency medicine or radiology. In addition, this course is beneficial for nurses, midwives, sonographers, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and radiology technologists.
- “The Advanced Health Education Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.”
- “The Advanced Health Education Center designates this education activity for a maximum of 16 hours of AMA PRA Category 1™. Physician should claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.”
- “The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography allows 12 hours CE Credit.”
Private Ultrasound Tutorials
We understand that you may want/need to practice your new skill set more than the regularly scheduled courses allow. You can schedule a private tutorial in addition to this course by calling AHEC and speaking to a faculty member about our Private Ultrasound Tutorial option. Additionally, private tutorial sessions can be set up without registering for a regularly scheduled course to enhance your already developed skills. Call AHEC at 1-800-239-1361 for more information.
The Advanced Health Education Center designates this educational activity for a maximum of 16 hours AMA PRA Category I™. Physician should claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography allows 12 hours CE Credit.
Debbie Robertson , BS, RDMS
Debbie is a sonography instructor for Advanced Health Education Center. Debbie has over 25 years experience in Abdominal and OB/Gyn Ultrasound. She has worked in private practices and pregnancy centers, hospitals in the Texas Medical Center and was an Application Specialist for GE Ultrasound. Debbie brings her educational talents to every class. She is highly motivating, patient and thorough in helping others acquire hands-on ultrasound skills. She has been part of the ultrasound faculty for AHEC for 19 years.