Gain an understanding of the various types of neglect, and sexual abuse as well as the legal issues for the Radiographer.
Online and phone registrations for live events close 1 hour before the event start time, which is in Central Standard Time (CST). Please give us a call at 1-800-239-1361 for all online registrations placed for webinars that will take place the same day in order to ensure you get your link to view the course.
**This live, instructor-directed course meets the Texas Medical Board requirements for all registered Medical Radiologic Technologists. Please refer to the TMB website for more information at this LINK
- Definition of Child Abuse and Neglect (10 minutes)
- Recognizing fractures and subdural hematoma
- Various types of neglect
- 1865 to 1980 – Organizing Societies to Prevent Child Abuse
- Child Abuse Imaging Protocols (20 minutes)
- Group 1: Babies and Toddlers under 23 months – Shaken Baby Syndrome
- Group 2: Children 2 years and older – different type of physical abuse
- US and Texas statistics of child abuse
- Skeletal surveys for the two age groups
- Head Trauma
- The Various Types of Neglect and Sexual Abuse (10 minutes)
- Failure to provide supervision and nourishment
- Emotional, Educational and Medical Neglect
- Sexual Abuse
- Who are the Perpetrators? (20 minutes)
- Common issues concerning perpetrators
- Does it affect all social levels?
- Legal Issues for the Radiographer (30 minutes)
- Who must report child abuse?
- Legal issues concerning images
- Radiation Safety
- Pandemic and Child Abuse Statistics (20 minutes)
- How Emergency Departments changed during the pandemic
- How the pandemic affected reporting of abuse
- What can RTs do concerning child abuse?
- Digital Radiography (30 minutes)
- Image quality vs dose
- Dose management
- Standard measures for controlling dose
- Pediatric imaging standards, policies and procedures
- Child size protocols
- Optimization of positioning, collimation, exposure factors
- Equipment optimization
- Define child abuse and neglect.
- Describe the various types of child abuse and neglect.
- Know the characteristics, indicators and possible signs of child abuse.
- Understand imaging protocols for the different pediatric age groups.
- Understand legal reporting procedures for radiographers.
- Demonstrate methods of pediatric radiation dose management in digital radiography and fluoroscopy imaging.
- Identify imaging practices specific to the pediatric population, taking into consideration the age and size of the patient.
This program provides AHRA Category A continuing education credit for radiologic technologists recognized by the ARRT and various licensure states. You must attend the entire program to receive your certificate of completion.
Nursing CE - Approved by California Board of Nursing for 3 nursing CEU's CEP#16406
Lois Lehman , R.T. (R), (CT)
Lois Lehman has been a radiologic technologist for over 40 years. She has a wealth of information to share with you from her experiences working in three major Dallas hospitals. She has held many roles including staff and special procedures technologist, education coordinator, lead CT technologist, RIS administrator and Assistant Director. Ms. Lehman has also held many elected positions: VP of the Dallas Area RT Society (DARTS), President of the Texas Society of RTs (TSRT), President of the Advisory Committee at El Centro College, and National Delegate to the ASRT House of Delegates. She has earned many awards along her dedicated path to improving radiologic technology including: Outstanding Service in the Field of Radiologic Technology DARTS/1995, Wade Hoots Distinguished Lecturer TSRT/2007, and TOP 25 Technologist NTRTS/2008. She co-authored an ASRT video presentation, authored/co-authored publications for radiographers, and teaches for AHEC.