Any medical professional can take this course because it is approved by HHSC, and will satisfy the requirements set by the TMB for any health professional who is now required to have this training! The Human Trafficking Prevention course is taught by Damon Jackson, who has over 20 years of experience in classroom and hands-on instruction, over 15 years of experience in law enforcement, and has been a long-time faculty member at Advanced Health Education Center. Everyone who has attended a course presented by Damon knows about the passion and enthusiasm he brings to his courses, and we are confident he has created a comprehensive course that will be both informative and captivating for all healthcare professionals.
- Define Human Trafficking and Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000
- Explain the difference between Human Trafficking and Smuggling
- Discuss types of trafficking and vulnerability factors
- Describe traffickers' profiles and their recruitment tactics
- Discuss statistics of victims - globally and locally
- Health Impact-types of injuries to assist in identification
- Describe strategies in aiding in identification and assessment.
- Explain Patient-Centered Approach
- Discuss examples of appropriate language
- Explain importance of documentation
- Creation of check list to assist in identifying victims of human trafficking or smuggling
- Resources for Healthcare to aid in recognizing, intervening and referring trafficking victims.
- National Human Trafficking Hotline
- State Agencies (Texas)
- Understand the types of human trafficking in the United States.
- Be better able to identify victims of human trafficking in health care settings.
- Create an objective 'check list' to aid in determining if patient is a victim of human trafficking/smuggling.
- Identify resources for reporting suspected victims of human trafficking.
Medical Imaging Professionals - 1.5 Category A credits approved through AHRA Exp. 8/30/2023
Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) has approved this 1.5 hour course in accordance with House Bill 2059 (2019) and meets the TMB requires for all healthcare professionals
Nursing CE - Approved by California Board of Registered Nursing for 1.5 nursing CEUs.
CME - AMA PRA Category 1 approved CME through Advanced Health Education Center designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1.5 hours credits
Damon Jackson has had the pleasure of working as a full-time member of law enforcement for a little over 15 years with an additional five years teaching both men and women how to become a licensed peace officer in Texas. He currently has 20 years of experience in classroom and hands-on instruction. He has been licensed as a Personal Protection Officer, Body Guard and was state certified to train both men and women on how to become a licensed body guard as well. Damon has served on two separate SWAT Teams and was formally trained by respected and well-known members of the military special forces. He was also a certified Concealed Handgun Instructor for 7 years and has provided instruction for over 3,000 men and women on how to obtain their CHL. HIs last official rank as a peace officer was as a Sergeant in Jasper, TX where he was the first African American to have that position in 2007.